The St. Augustine Public Montessori School is part of the St. Johns County District. The school is governed independently by a non-profit organization Board of Trustees, but is accountable to the SJCSD and State Department of Education. We arebuilding upon the great success of the many public elementary Montessori schools across the nation and Florida. SAPMS has enhanced the District’s excellent success rates and attraction for residents by including a Montessori option as a public school choice.
We emphasize the following key Montessori principles:
- Prepared environment of Montessori materials and curriculum
- Mixed age classrooms in 3-year spans
- Student choice of activity and uninterrupted blocks of work time
- Integrated instruction where all curriculum subjects are connected
- Individuals work at their own pace, regardless of ability level or age
- A focus on cooperation rather than competition
- Active involvement of children, parents, local citizens and organizations
- Montessori-trained teachers
This is an elementary school, open to children in grades 1 – 6.
Read our Charter School Application as submitted to the St. Johns County School District and approved on September 13, 2011.