The St. Augustine Public Montessori School is part of the St. Johns County School District. The school is governed independently by a non-profit organization Board of Trustees, but is accountable to the SJCSD and State Department of Education.
St. Augustine Public Montessori is proud to offer authentic Montessori as a public school choice.
We emphasize the following key Montessori principles:
- Prepared environment of Montessori materials and curriculum
- Mixed age classrooms in 3-year spans
- Student choice of activity and uninterrupted blocks of work time
- Integrated instruction where all curriculum subjects are connected
- Individuals work at their own pace, regardless of ability level or age
- A focus on cooperation rather than competition
- Active involvement of children, parents, local citizens and organizations
- Montessori-trained teachers
“We cannot create observers by saying ‘observe’, but by giving them the power
and the means for this observation.”
– Dr. Maria Montessori